Three Tips to Beginning Your Cycling Practice

cycling-banner

A beginner at any practice must structure their learning. In cycling, the same rule applies. The structure of cycling practice will determine the level of skill and enjoyment that results from training. A good training programs doesn’t have to be bought from a professional, although this may help. It is about discipline and commitment to getting better. A cyclist that works hard without a structure may not achieve as much as a cyclist with a consistent and dedicated practice routine. As with anything else, cycling needs to be a part of a balanced schedule overall to get the most out of it that you possibly can.
15well_physed-blog480
Interval Training 
Proper application of interval training with the right effort leads to improvements in endurance, training mentality, and ability. In addition to having the right cycling shoes, motivation and structure are important. Interval training is the cyclist’s version of training smarter while not harder. For those not in the know, interval training combines low-intensity cycling with high-intensity cycling with recovery times. The length of time dedicated to high-intensity vs. low-intensity is different for all people, however, there is no way to make a generalization on what is “standard”. Learning what is difficult and what is easier will likely provide the clues needed to arrange the interval training that works for you. Beginning to structure your cycling practice requires some self-observation. It is likely that recovery times will belonger as they body is not used to high-intensity work outs. Recovery times are just as important as high-intensity periods as they allow the body to integrate the activity from high-intensity workouts for more efficiency during warm-ups.
Diet
Diet 
This is essential for mastery of any sport. The body needs the right amount of fat, carbs, and protein to build muscle. Lets not forget balancing these needs with minerals and vitamins necessary for high endurance stress on the immune system! Usually, a beginner need not be too stringent in their diet. Living by the 80/20 rule is good enough to get individuals in shape. While 80% of the cyclist’s diet should be nutrient dense, the other 20% can be supplemented with treats such as ice cream or even the occasional slice of pie. The only challenge is that these foods can contain an addictive amount of sugar; consumption can lead to wanting only to consume more, so one helpful hint for the 20% of treats is to indulge in something that is low in sugar or at least made with natural and unrefined sugars. White and bleached sugar which is basically a deceptive large source of empty calories, and your cycling practice will not benefit in the long run! Even the best cycling shoes in Malaysiawill not be able to compensate for poor diet decisions.

team-sky-cobble-bike-984A4035-630x420

Train-Life Balance 
Training can get addictive. The release of endorphins and other chemicals in the body associated with feeling good are one of the best parts of getting in shape. Cyclists will experience “runners high” only through cycling. As you train, it will seem as if there is less of an opportunity to experience the rush of endorphins, as your body will eventually adapt to the rigors of cycling. Remember that is important to structure the cycling practice. You might need more high-intensity cycling in your routine and less warm-up as you progress, but consistency is better than sporadic and unorganized cycling efforts that cut into evenings with family or even early morning hours that should be devoted to rest. This will likely only result in frustration and a feeling that one can never train enough to get better. Sometimes this mentality is the result of stress brought on my imbalance. The rush of endorphins is only one aspect of cycling.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

two × three =