One of the main reasons Kota Kinabalu is a favorite destination among travelers is its food culture. The city has a diverse selection of restaurants that offer both local and international delicacies. Hopping from one food stall to another in the city is in itself an adventure.
To get the most out of your adventure, below are some of the places and restaurants that you should visit if you truly want to experience the city’s burgeoning food scene.
1) Tanjung Aru – This is a stretch of beach along the West Coast. Lining the beach are numerous food stalls, cafes, and restaurants selling everything from Malaysian street food to international cuisine like Chinese noodles. There is a popular section at the beach called the hawker court where you can gorge on seafood snacks, grilled chicken wings, and satay (the Malaysian version of skewered and grilled meat).
2) Hua Hing Seafood Restaurant – If you are craving for seafood fare, this is the perfect place to visit. It offers a selection of Malaysian, Chinese, and Thai dishes. Their main ingredients for a lot of the dishes include crab, fish, squid, and shark fins. You should try their delicious Hokkien Mee.
3) Chilli Vanilla – If you want a taste of European and Mediterranean-inspired dishes, you will surely get your fill in this cafe. Their menu includes salads, spicy duck tortillas, chicken roulade, and bakony grilled fish.
4) El Centro – A favorite among eaters and drinkers, El Centro is a cozy establishment offering a nice selection of salads, fries, pizza, tacos, sausages, and mash. And if you want to top off your meal with a nice drink, you can choose from their list of beer, wine, cocktails, margaritas, and martinis. It’s also a great place to meet new people since the atmosphere is very homely and friendly.
5) Little Italy – Are you craving for Italian food? Then Little Italy is for you. Just a short walk away from Suriah Sabah, Little Italy has the best pizza and spaghetti in town. They also serve appetizers, soups, salads, and Italian bread.
6) Kedai Kopi Yee Fung – A favorite dining place among locals, this cafe is well-known for its curry laksa. This is a delicacy featuring thin noodles, flavored soup, boiled prawns, and shredded chicken meat.
Don’t miss these places if you are in town. They serve some of the best dishes and delicacies in the city. For easier access to these restaurants, you should book a hotel in Kota Kinabalu that’s near the city center. Some of these restaurants are within walking distance as long as you are booked within the city center.